LiveWire

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Of orkut and me

So, there's this thing on the internet. It's called Orkut. Everybody in class was on it. Everybody in college was on it. Everybody in school was on it. And I mean everybody, from geeks to goons. Everybody but me. Well, I had joined it long long ago, then never logged on, and eventually forgot my password. Then the craze was on in class and I thought, hey, they are gonna take all the teasing online, and I don't wanna miss it!

After wondering whether or not to be caught up in the "latest cool thing", I decided what the heck. Kaasa panamaa. Internet dhaane!! Freeya vandha phenol kudikkra kaalam!!

Interesting place, this Orkut. I know someone, someone knows someone else, hence I know someone else. It is amazing how the simple transitive property of arithmetic operations can be used for complex human relationships, hence defying all rational human behaviour that our moms so desperatly tried to imbibe in us - do not talk to strangers!!! Well, you can reason out saying people "add friends" before they get talking, but beware honey, it is a NETWORK!

Well, so far, the site is good. Best part, I was able to reach old friends from school. People whom I had lost touch with, then regretted for. Now I'm back talking to them. Then there are friends from college. People whom I see and speak to and have lunch with everyday, but who, when they are home, still spend 15 seconds of their time to type out a "Hi" to me, just to make me smile about how silly it is.

There is a community on anything and everything here. Led Zepp to Joplin, Mathematics to f off, Kimi to Calvin... (sweet baby blue eyed Kimi...wow...damn, don't drift off, back to the laudation) it's got it all. Sadly, even an 'India sucks' site. So I guess it's still about "technology can be used in any way..." And if nothing else, it has a birthday reminder. Isn't that reason enough to log in?

The most recent fad on Orkut, as far my class is concerned, is the testimonials. People shorten it's name as testi. "Did you see that testi...Hey, his testi was cool...I never thought I'd be writing this testi..." For once, shortforms suck. No pun intended. And trust me, I'm not the pervert here. It's a similar reason why you should call the eraser as an eraser and not rubber.

Coming to the testimonials, man!! The things people say about you... Ye, it's true, but it isn't the whole truth. Come on people, it's not like someone is gonna give you a marriage proposal by reading your testimonial. And it's not like people are gonna hang themselves coz you trashed them. So quit it with the "she's so great and he's so smart" and get real. Indulge in trivial teasing. Of course, if you are gonna write something that is totally offensive and kicking in the gut (given that this guy added you as a friend!) instead of saying it straight on his face, then you probably deserve such a write-up yourself.

Reading what I just wrote, I realised nobody in their right minds would ask for an embarassing testimonial. I still grin ear to ear whenever I read the nice stuff people wrote about me. And here I am whining about the saturating sweetness of the very same. Which leaves one question. Was this whole post a momentary lapse of sanity?

3 Comments:

  • I never thought I wud be the first person to comment on this..That too being a new blogger..
    For what am I here for?..ahh..ORKUT..I guess we all owe that stanford guy a lot whose pet project turned out to be a boon for us to be in contact..and as said by u, Everybody in the world seems to be joining in now lately..Coming to testimonial stuff I guess u know the exact manner in which this word was coined??..he..he..It will make u more sick than when u heard ur friends say its shortform...I think thats the only thing in orkut which needs major change..Only a few r truthful here..think wat wud hav happened if a testimonial is displayed like a scrap without the person's approval..It wud be more as Stifler says in American wedding.." What is this shit anyway...I am special, U r special...We r all bunch of special f******.."

    Ok..I don't want a comment to be a more like a blog here..So I am ending it in a thanksgiving style for showig me the way to blogspot..U r a gr8 writer and I believe, Ur fingers keep typing what ur heart says instead of what ur brains thinks..this makes ur blogs more interesting..keep the good work going..

    By Blogger Old White Tiger..., at 4:04 AM  

  • thank you whitetiger. checked out ur id, looks like ur first post is yet to b published. do let me know when it's online!

    By Blogger Livewire, at 9:21 AM  

  • hmm so u want me to change that testi..ooops sorry ;p ..testimonial a wee bit more..???
    well it was a bit too sugary..but come on u dont want me to write all those gory things we went thru at skool!

    By Blogger Shivani, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Site Counter