LiveWire

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Pox it is!

I have no idea why I hesitate to lock horns with my mother. It would be so easy to beat her!

After hours and hours of pestering her to find the English name of Manal Vaari Amman, she said she'll call up my uncle (a doctor) and check it up.

So, night around 9, I'm tired after doing almost nothing, lying in my room, on the maroon saree with the neem leaves around (still remember Karpoora Nayagiye...?) Mom walks into my room with phone in hand. Thought she was comin to tell me the name of the Amman.

"Hello, how are you? Yes, we are fine. Aswini wants to talk to you."
Wow, she dialled the number all by herself. Saved my energy.
"Hello chittappa..." And I go on to tell him symptom after symptom, when and where it started, how much it spread, how big, etc etc.
"It's chicken pox. I'm sure."
Er...But... Didn't I already...No, that conversation is with my mother, after I hang up.
"And your mother will tell you it is Mariamman or Kali Atha or something. Please remember it is a virus. It will go by itself, no treatment needed. But take a drug I tell you, it will avert dangerous after-effects like deafness or blindness."
Now, my mom was a science teacher! So of course she knows that this is a virus and how it comes and how it leaves. As for me, I'm just gonna stick to the Amman story, makes the disease fun for 10 days.

After giving her the coldest of all cold stares, I hand her the phone to take down the medicine prescribed. She hears the "chicken pox" too. The entire time, I'm staring at her. Once done, she looks at me and asks, "So, did you hear it for yourself?"

"Yes. More importantly, did YOU hear it?"
"Of course. I told you."
"You told me Manal Vaari Amman."
"That is chicken pox."
"In which part of Tamil Nadu?"
"That is what it is called."
"I thought you said I already had the pox."
"That was measles!"
"What? Since when?"
"Measles is that tiny prickly heat like stuff."
Ah yes, the tiny prickly heat like stuff. Any more adjectives, similes, metaphors mother dear? Or, should I add hyperboles to the list too?

So, chicken pox is what I have. And my mom, well, she is still my mom, I still love her, but I just can't resist pouncing on her for things like these... Imagine, if I had to fill up some kinda medical form for some place, and it asks me about chicken pox, and I say yes, when 6 months old, and a week later I get pox... I would be screwed! Ok, bad analogy I guess, but you get the idea of how idiotic it would be to not know what disease one has, don't you?

Hope my mom gets it. Amman help her. Oh wait, that is me! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Site Counter